Jun 2, 2013

Wake Me Up When May Ends

Chapter VII
Wake Me Up When May Ends

You And Me by Lifehouse- (wedding edition/extended)
This is my favorite slow song.  Anytime I hear this song, I think of Dawn, even though it would be impossible to dance to this song at our prom, because it came out in 2005.  I love this song.  I hear it so much on the radio, and I smile.  This was my only wish that didn't take place at prom.  This song being played.  Doc Brown, get the time machine ready. :)



This is my favorite prom picture that Dawn and I took together.  I didn't want to do any graphic design work on it, like I have in some of my previous images.  This picture speaks volumes.  You can't put a price on this photo or memory.  Both are priceless.


So there I was.  It was Saturday, May 9th 1998.  I was putting my tux on and feeling the butterflies.  I felt like a million bucks and I knew this was going to be a wonderful night.  Dawn and I would be sitting at a table with a few of my friends.  I knew Dawn might feel like an outsider, because she didn't know anyone, but I was hoping she'd feel welcomed.

I left about 5:30 PM or so to pick Dawn up, because our prom didn't start until 7:00 PM and it lasted until 11:00 PM.  I also brought my camera for pictures.  I stopped by Lonny's house because he and his family wanted to see me in my tux.  If it wasn't for Lonny, Dawn and I never would have met.  Looking back, I kinda owed that night to him.  It's amazing how much of an impact a 13 year old can have on your life.

On my way over to Dawns, I thought about my Cystic Fibrosis (CF) camp friends who never went to prom.  Why?  Because they died and never were able to put on a tux, or a dress, and have photos taken, and the memory of going to a senior prom.  Some died as teens, mostly before the age of 17.  I thought about Joel Rabideau, John Fowler, Brian Weber, Dana Maynard, and Melissa King.  None got the chance that I was getting.  And by god, Dawn and I were going to have a good time, because (like so many) I was lucky to be alive.  Like many, I was told I would be dead by age 8.

There I was, on Dawn's front doorstep about 6:00 PM.  Seconds away from knocking on her door (can't recall if she had a door bell or not).  I remember taking a deep breath in 
and just telling myself to relax, everything was going to be fine.  Dawn's younger sister or brother answered the door and they let me in.  Dawn was still up stairs getting ready.

I remember looking at her as she swiftly came down the stairs, as her dress glided.  I thought.


"OH MY GOSH!."


Dawn was so beautiful.  She looked so pretty and so wonderful.  She was glowing. If it were cloudy outside, the sky would be filled with glittery rays from the sun. I was at awe.

I placed her corsage on her hand and she pinned a boutonniere on my tux jacket.  We headed outside and took a few pictures.  Her parents weren't home (that I can recall), so I think it was her younger sister Holly, or maybe her Mom (memory blank) who took the pictures. Dawn and I were exactly the same height, so it worked out perfect.  I never realized there were girls who actually were my height.  Who knew?  HA!

I remember like it was yesterday.  I held open the car door for her as she got in.  I remember before we left, I looked at her and told her how beautiful she looked.


So we headed to Bakers of Milford and we had a blast that night.  I truly wish I could go back to that night, and even the entire month of May, because planning for prom was actually fun.  It felt like a dream, and I wanted no one to wake me up until it was over.

I have to admit, slow dancing with Dawn and holding her was very nice.  And no, a 10 year old didn't have to drag the truth out of me. I didn't want that night to end.

For anyone that has a terminal illness or anything they're dealing with in life, you know precious moments don't come around every day.



After prom we both decided we wanted some ice cream, and the only place that was open around midnight was Big Boy in Hartland, MI right off US-23.  So there we were, talking, smiling, and eating ice cream at around 12:30 AM.  My curfew was actually 2:00 AM.  I can't recall what Dawn's was, probably about the same time.  So about 1:00 AM I took her home, which was right down the road.

So there we were sitting in her drive-way.  I'm not sure what we talked about, but we were only in her drive-way for about 5 minutes or so.  I still was going with plan A (hug).  I was too darn shy to even give her a hug.  Then a few seconds later, I remember the exact words she said to me.

"Well, I had better get going Jesse, come here and give me a hug."

I just didn't want to screw the night up with any awkwardness, because I kept thinking of my bad experiences at my freshman and sophomore homecoming dances.

Fast forward 15 years later, I would have definitely given her a kiss on the cheek.  I don't care if it would have made me think twice, I should have taken that chance, and I never did.  So kids, if you're reading this and you're taking a friend (someone you know well) to prom, go ahead and do the hug and kiss on the cheek.  Don't let that moment slip away from your fingertips like I did.

Little did I know as I drove off, it would be the last time I'd see Dawn in person, until 15 years later.

'You And Me' (wedding edition/extended)
By Lifehouse
Year: 2005
My favorite slow song

No comments:

Post a Comment