Jun 9, 2013

Wait, What?

Chapter III
Wait, What?

Since there was no CF camp in 1993 for our session, it would be two years before I'd see Dana again.  We kept in contact via postal mail and phone.  

Little did we all know (her camp friends) but in 1994 Dana had a liver transplant.

I thought.

"Wait, what? 

She had wrote and told me that she received a liver transplant. I couldn't believe it. I (or anyone else) didn't even know she needed one. At least I didn't know, some of our other CF camp friends might have, but I never did.

To my knowledge (what I can recall) Dana needed a liver transplant due to all the antibiotics (including IV antibiotics) she had been on through her life, which it's common for people with CF to have lower kidney and liver function, because of all the medications and antibiotics we're on. In some cases (as in Dana's) the liver or kidney starts to fail.

CF camp '94 rolled around and Dana looked awesome.  Awesome meaning so healthy (and cute as always) <----- I just had to type it once more. She looked very healthy and she now had long hair. 






























Dana was 14 years old and by this time she was into golfing, which was something she enjoyed doing, and could do. I remember in her letters she'd tell me about being on her high school's golf team. Dana attended Concord High School in Concord, MI. 3 years later it would be a place a few of us would know a bit about.

So Camp '94 was in the books. Of course Jason and Dana weren't an item that year. Jason had the hots for Stephanie Shields (RIP: 10-7-08) that year and they were an item, but of course Jason and Dana were friends, and had been since Camp '92, If I recall correctly. They could have been friends before that, but I don't remember.

Another year had passed and it was time for CF camp '95. This is where it all began folks. Jason and Dana finally hooked up and were an item. My memory is very foggy, but I know Dana and Jason weren't together in 1994, because Stefanie and Dan "The Man" Sharrow (my nickname for him) were together. Sadly, Dan passed away in 2004 from CF.

Jason loved Dana so much. That's all that boy talked about. Dana, Dana, Dana, Dana. He truly cared for her.
So the love story of Dana and Jason began at CF Camp 1995, then at Camp 1996 Dana and Rob Fowler were an item. Though, Jason still always liked Dana, even though he was with Colleen James (RIP: 7-13-09) at Camp '96. He never told me this, but deep down I know he did.

Is this stating to sound like the Young And The Restless? HA!

I should say that after Camp 1995, Jason and Dana were an item off and on through the years. I honestly don't know the last time Jason saw Dana. But he'd always talk about her through the years.


When was the last time I saw Dana? That would be in the Fall of 1996, about 9 months before her death. Our CF friend Andy Johnston put on the first of 2 Bash's (I believe). He invited a few of us over to his house for the weekend. I hope I get this correct. He invited the following. Myself, Dana, Alisha Stokes, Ryan Upson, Jennifer Hall, Jennifer Brooks, Jamie Kloote (RIP: 11-12-01) and Jason Sevrey. I think that was the first Bash gang.

I remember one time I was in the car with Dana and Andy was driving. I'm not sure where we were going or what we were doing, but it was night time. As Dana and I were riding in the back seat, "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd came on the radio. With all that Dana had been through in life, in terms of CF and being poked all the time, and her liver transplant, this song reminded me of her. I think she was us to all the pricks (needles that is) and the pain she went through. Every time I hear this song, I think of Dana. She's no longer feeling any pain.

We all had a great time together, and yet again, we were leaving one another. Dana was heading back to Concord, Jason was heading back to East Lansing, Jamie was heading back to Grand Rapids, Jennifer Hall was heading back to Waterford, Jennifer Brooks was heading back to Dryden, Ryan was heading back to Grand Ledge, Alisha was heading back to Milford, which was the town next to mine, and I was heading back to Highland.

Without CF camp, I would have never met these people, including Dana. No one knew at the time, but there would be no CF camp '97, as the camp was discontinued. More importantly, little did we know we'd lose our friend 9 months later.

I was in my junior year of high school in 1996-97 and had just turned 18 years old. Dana was in her sophomore year (I believe) and 16 years old. These should have been the greatest 4 years for Dana. Sadly, they'd be her final 2.

Continue. . . 


'Comfortably Numb
By: Pink Floyd
Year: 1979


No comments:

Post a Comment