Jun 2, 2013

Send Me An Angel

Chapter V
Send Me An Angel
I started thinking more about Dawn toward the end of the school year in 1997, wondering if she was going to her senior prom.  At that time I had a girlfriend, so any thought of that went out the window.  But I had always hoped she went to her senior prom and had fun.  She deserved it.

So here we were, April 1998.  Like I had mentioned earlier, it had been quite a while since I'd seen Dawn.  I called her up and I remember the conversation going something like this.

"Hey Dawn, this is Jesse.  I was just calling to see how you've been and was wondering if you were doing anything on May 9th? I was wanting to ask you to my prom.  I know it's been quite a while since we last spoke.  I know we'll have a good time."

I'm not sure what Dawn said during that conversation, but she did say yes, that is if she could get the day off from work.  Yep, there's that if.  I was hopeful and certain she'd be able to go.  I told her when I needed to know by, so I could purchase the tickets.

About a week or two passed and she did let me know that she could go.  So within about 3 weeks before prom, I purchased the tickets.  The cost?  $80.00.  This was only $10.00 less than what my tux cost to rent for one day.  Fast forward 15 years and tickets for this years prom (couple) were $130.00 and $70.00 for single tickets.  Wow, how times have changed.

So it was set.  The only thing I needed to purchase was Dawn's corsage, but with 2 weeks to go until prom, I had plenty of time.  For those that don't know me, I like to plan things ahead, and I hate doing things at the last minute.  With a week to go, Dawn still didn't have a dress, and I really needed to know the color of her dress, so the corsage would match.  She told me she was borrowing a dress from a friend, so she didn't know for certain the color.  AAHH!!!!!



Girls think they panic about things?  With one week to go, I was in a semi-panic mode.  Dawn didn't have the dress in her possession, but she was able to tell me the color.  Red.  Wheew, with 3-4 days to go before prom, a relief was lifted off my shoulders.  I headed to Bogie Lake Greenhouse in White Lake and put an order in for a nice corsage.

Little did I know, but my Cystic Fibrosis (CF) friend Shawnna Gould (RIP: 9-12-12) sent me a boutonniere for prom.  Of course I kept it and saved it for quite a few years (until 2000), including Dawn's as well.  Shawnna didn't know that I had a date, but it was very nice of her to send me one. The last time I had talked to Shawnna, I didn't have a date yet.

So with less than 3 days left before prom, the butterflies were already looming.  One has to remember, Dawn and I were just friends, but we both were single.  I knew I had to keep my feelings in check.  A part of me wanted to get to know her on a different level, spend more time with her, and just see where things went and play it by ear. 


'The Lady In Red'
By Chris de Burgh

Year: 1986
One of my top 10 favorite slow songs

No comments:

Post a Comment