Mar 10, 2013

Twin

  Chapter II
   Twin
So there I was reading the letter that Liz had wrote me, it was the first letter I received from a camper.  Liz mentioned that she wouldn't be attending next years camp, and it broke my heart.  I had just met this wonderful person that was a huge spark in my life. . . and she writes and informs me that she's not going to be at camp next year.  She never gave me a reason why. I remember thinking.

"How does she know she's not going to be there this far in advance?"

I continued to read the back-to-back one page letter, and she wrote that she expected me to be at camp next year, because her twin sister Margaret would be attending.  Twin?  I never knew she had a sister, let alone a twin.

A lot of things went through my mind as I read her letter. How would camp be next year?  Would it be as fun?  I remember feeling like I would never see Liz again.


So the months passed and Liz and I continued to write each other.  I told Liz how I was doing in school and she'd tell me her adventures while traveling, and attending University Of Michigan-Dearborn.

We'd send each other pictures, and luckily a few campers sent me pictures from my first year in 1988, because I didn't know to bring a camera.  I pretty much was a rookie.  He he he.


Anytime I wrote my camp friends, I'd always have music playing in the background.  I remember one time 'Just Like Heaven' by The Cure (1987) was playing on the radio as I was writing Liz, and the song stuck with me, and has ever since.  It reminds me of both Liz and Margaret.

Early winter of 1989 I received my registration papers for camp.  I was still sad about Liz not going, but I was looking forward to meeting her other half. The only thing I knew was that her name was Margaret, and I assumed she looked like Liz.

Four months had passed and I remember packing for camp.  The excitement was on and I knew I couldn't forget my walk-man (the days before CD players) and grabbed a few tapes of mine, one being The Cure 'Just Like Heaven' Oh yeah, I did remember to bring my camera.

On the way to Dowling, MI I remember thinking.

"How am I going to know what Margaret looks like, and how's she going to know who I am and what I look like?"

The many questions a 10 year old thinks about. HA!



'Just Like Heaven' By The Cure (1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment