Mar 10, 2013

Margaret Rosekrans (Michalski)





Chapter I
My First Camp Friend

March 10th 2013

I
just finished my first week ever at Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Camp Onkoi Benek (Indian phrase = "To Conquer Tomorrow"), which is on the outskirts of Battle Creek, MI in Dowling, MI.  I was pretty bummed on the way home from CF camp '88, knowing I had just experienced the best week of my life.  I got to meet some awesome people that week, including other kids and adults with CF, which I had never done before.  My CF friend Brian Weber (RIP, 1996) was actually the one who told me about CF camp at Karate class back in the winter of 1987.  For whatever reason, my parents decided I could go the next summer.

That ride back home seemed to go by quickly, probably because I slept most of the way.  As mentioned, I met a lot of great people that week, but one person stood out, and for some reason, I knew that I'd continue to be friends with her for the rest of my life.  Elizabeth Michalski was the first CF friend that I had met, as she took our patrol under her wing and adopted us.  Liz and I had a wonderful week together and I still remember how we met.  

My patrol and I were outside the dining hall near the girls and boys bathrooms. We were looking over our schedule for the day. I remember this girl who was sitting on the sofa and she said.



"Hey cutie, come here."

I was holding a red gym ball in my hand, and as I turned around, I saw the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in my life.  I walked on over and sat on her lap.  The rest is history. I remember looking in my goody bag that I got from camp and it included campers' addresses, but I just glanced at it. I thought it was cool that I could keep in contact with the friends that I made that week.

I remember getting home and going through my goody bag while my parents were outside on the back porch.  I skimmed through the addresses, but I couldn't find Liz's.  I didn't know Liz's last name, I just knew her by her first name, which to me was Liz.  I didn't know that her full name was Elizabeth Michalski.  So I started to panic. I searched and searched, but I couldn't find Liz.  I cried and felt empty inside.  How was I going to ever contact her?  I was so sad.  What was a 9 year old boy to do?

Two weeks had passed since camp. I slightly remember my Mom going out and getting the mail.  She told me I got a letter from Liz.

I jumped up for joy and yelled.

"YES!"

Lizzy finally contacted me. I was so happy and excited. Liz basically said she had a great time at camp, and meeting me was the best part of her week, but in the letter she mentioned something that immediately made me sad.


Continue. . .






'Clocks' by Coldplay (2002)


No comments:

Post a Comment