Oct 5, 2016

32 Years Later: Remembering Tubby


Kristy Kay Heward (March 17th 1976 - October 5th 1984)
This is a photo (above) that my Aunt gave me. I believe the photo on the left is from 1984 when Kristy was 8, and her last portrait photo. The photo on the right (I would guess) is from 1983.


Myself (4) and Tubby (7) during the Summer of 1983
This photo was taken 13 months before she passed away


Kristy "Tubby" Heward died on October 5th 1984. I'm not sure how her nickname came about, but I believe it was a nickname my Aunt gave her, whom was her next door neighbor and babysitter. Her and my Aunt were close.

Tubby was 8 years old when she tragically died from being hit by a truck while four wheeling with her older brother. Sadly, she was driving and wasn't wearing a helmet, but her brother (on the back) was, and he lived, though he was thrown off the four wheeler.


 1981-82 School Year- Tubby was 5 years old


If I remember correctly, Tubby was driving and going around a curve on the other side of the road (toward on coming traffic), and a teenager driving a truck struck them on October 2nd 1984 in Missoula, Montana. Tubby was at fault and no charges were filed against the teenager, if I recall correctly. I believe where they lived there wasn't a lot of traffic. Though, I could be wrong. It was a horrible accident. Still to this day, I think about that teenager, which he'd probably be in his late 40's as of this typing.

Tubby and her parents lived next door prior to their move to Montana. While at my Aunt's house, Tubby and I would hang out, including my other cousins when they were over. At times we'd play and hang out at her house. Sometimes when I'd go over to my Aunt's house, Tubby would be upstairs looking out the window, and when she saw me, she'd run outside and greet me at my Aunt's gate, which led to her house.

Winter 1983- The photo above was taken at my Aunt's house. I'm not sure what I'm doing in the photo above, but it looks like I'm holding a dollar bill and maybe my Grandpa (behind me) found some change that I had dropped.  Tubby is on the left side of this photo.


To be honest, I don't remember a lot about Tubby. I was 5 years old then, but one thing I do remember, is that her parents regretted moving to Montana. They moved back to Michigan within the next year or so. Life was never the same for them, as they both ended up getting a divorce. Her brother recovered from the accident and is 44. I saw him back in 2012 and saw his Mom in 2014. To my knowledge, relatives take care of Tubby's grave site.


December 1983- Tubby (7) Jesse (5)- What in the world is she doing to me? This is a photo of Tubby, myself, and my cousin (lower right) over at Tubby's house. I remember this via still images. I miss these memories. A bunch of kids being silly.


Tubby's death occurred 13 days before my 6th birthday and I'm sure I was quite sad to hear of her passing, as we all were. I only knew her for 2 years. I think of her often. Kristy Heward will always be missed and never forgotten.


Enclosed is Kristy's memorial obituary from 1984.


No comments:

Post a Comment