Apr 5, 2016

Wrestlemania . . . what it means to me



Wrestlemania VI (1990) report with legendary interviewer/announcer Gene Okerlund.


Wrestlemania 32 has come and gone, and yet again, set an indoor attendance record at AT&T Stadium (former Cowboys stadium) in Arlington, TX and an indoor wrestling attendance record here in the U.S.

I've been a fan of wrestling since 1985 at the age of 7, but didn't watch my first Wrestlemania on pay-per-view (PPV) until Wrestlemania VI in 1990. My family and I did have cable, but just basic cable, thus we didn't have the capability to order PPV events. Saturday mornings is when I watched wrestling as a kid, Superstars of Wrestling and Wrestling Challenge, both on the USA Network.

At the time, my Mom worked with a friend and they both did house cleaning together for 4 years or so. My Mom's friend (her husband) worked for TCI Cable, which was a local cable company whom several years later was bought out by Comcast. He received the PPV events for free. I was friends with their two sons and daughter and we'd all get together at their house and watch Wrestlemania, while my Mom and her friend would hang out in the dining room. It was super fun! It was like we all had our own Wrestlemania party.


The Ultimate Challenge
Title VS Title
Hulk Hogan (WWF Champion) VS. Ultimate Warrior (WWF Intercontinental Champion)
April 1st 1990
Toronto SkyDome
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Attendance: 67,678


WWE had their first Wrestlemania on March 31st 1985 at New York's Madison Square Garden where they call 'home' and it was a huge success. It wasn't on PPV across the U.S., only in some areas, but it was on closed circuit TV, which meant you had to go to your local theater or other outlets to watch the event. The Wrestling Classic (November 7th 1985) was the first event to be on PPV across the country, 2nd event to be on PPV overall.

We also got together and watched Royal Rumble 1991 and Wrestlemania VII. I only remember watching those three events with them at their house. Luckily though, I've seen all the Wrestlemania events via VHS/DVD/Blu-ray.


Sgt. Slaughter (WWF Champion) VS. Hulk Hogan
March 24th 1991
Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena
Los Angeles, CA
Attendance: 16,151


My favorite Wrestlemania is Wrestlemania III, which took place here in Pontiac, MI at the Pontiac Silverdome on March 29th 1987. My 2nd favorite would be Wrestlemania VI.

The events were so magical and not to mention the music, which is currently playing. The WWF used this theme song for several of their Wrestlemania events through the early 90's. I've always been a fan of instrumental music instead of music with lyrics, as it pertains to the Wrestlemania theme song.

Check out the history of Wrestlemania below.


Wrestlemania - Wrestlemania 32



No comments:

Post a Comment