Jul 23, 2014

Camp Onkoi Benek: Year One (Part 4)



Liz doing my postural drainage (PD)

     
Sometimes it feels like yesterday when Liz and I met, but in reality it was 26 years ago to the day. So how did our first encounter occur? Again, it was 26 years ago, so things are a bit fuzzy, but I recall Liz and I met the 2nd day of camp. Anyway, it was when our patrol was checking out our daily agenda on the wall, near the couches where we usually grabbed our medicine from Richard Zeluff a.k.a. Pharmacy Dick (who did a suburb job organizing our meds before meal time), and as I was looking at the board with a red gym ball in my hands, I heard a girl behind me say.

     "Hey cutie, come here."

     I remember sitting on her lap, which was quite often. From then on we started hanging around each other. Liz adopted our patrol for that week, and adoption at camp took a split second, thank goodness. :)

     I was always happy to wake up at 6:30 A.M. in the morning, because I knew Liz would be waiting for me after I finished my breathing treatment, or I'd be waiting for her outside along the bench to do my PD. Liz did my PD every morning (photo above) for the next 6-7 days. Her and I jogged in the evening together, which was part of our physical exercise after doing breathing treatments. Basically that entire week was spent with Liz.



     I hated the last day of camp a.k.a. departure day. The night before (as mentioned earlier) was our bonfire. I'm not sure if I shed a tear during the bonfire, but. . for me it was a time to think about all the fun that I had that week, and those that I'd leave behind until next year. I remember thinking about Liz and wondering if I'd ever see her again? I didn't want to believe that everything was going to be over.

     My memory is fuzzy when it comes to departure day. One minute I remember something, the next I forget it. Anyway, my parents picked me up early that first year (never to be done again), which I couldn't believe. I actually think I was the first camper to be picked up, but I could be wrong. Then sometimes I think it was around noon when they picked me up, instead of 9 A.M. As you could tell, my parents missed me. I missed them as well, but gosh, I wanted at least 5 more hours with Liz.

     Anyway, I remember it was during breakfast. While we were all eating, someone said.

     "Uh oh. .  someone's parents are here."

     I turned my shoulder and seen my PARENTS pull up outside. How could this be? Why so early? I remember getting up slowly (slow as in I didn't want to leave) and I headed to the boys dorm. I had packed everything the night before. I don't recall saying goodbye to any of my patrol, mostly because they were scattered throughout the dinning hall. I know Jimeyer came and helped me with my bags since he was my patrol leader. I do (somewhat) recall Liz saying goodbye to me, and I even think she came into the boys dorm as well, since everyone was at breakfast.

     I missed mail call that morning (time when we received mail) since I wasn't there. Normally mail call was at lunch, but it being departure day, it was at breakfast since parents would start arriving to pick their kids up at noon. Jimmie or Jason LaFrance had wrote me a letter and Liz included it in the first letter that she wrote to me post camp. 

     I had that feeling in my stomach that I didn't want to leave. I don't entirely recall saying goodbye to Liz (a memory I wish I had), but I know I did. I had the best week of my life, and I owed it all to my CF friends, my patrol, Jimeyer, Rob, and of course Liz. I look back on that first year with fond memories. 



     Once we left camp, my Mom opened my goodie bag. I remember her telling me that there was a sheet or two of everyone's name and their home address. I remember thinking it was awesome that I was going to be able to write to Liz. I slept all the way home. That 2 hour drive went by fast. 

     When I got home I unpacked all my clothes and belongings and checked out those address sheets. There was one problem. . .  where's Liz's name? I knew Liz by her name, which was Liz, right?  Nope.  That was her nickname. Little did I know, her first name was Elizabeth. I read those sheets of paper over and over again and I couldn't find anyone named 'Liz' and of course I didn't know where she lived, or her last name. I remember crying, as I felt lost and confused. I couldn't believe I was going to have to wait 365 days until I'd talk to her or see her again. 

     A week or so later I went to my mail box, and there it was.  No, it wasn't a chocolate bar with a golden ticket inside, but something better.  Liz had wrote me a letter. YES!! I remember heading inside my house and jumping up and down. It was so great to hear from her. I remember heading to my room and putting some music on as I read her letter. As I read the last page, she announced a bombshell. She stated that she wouldn't be attending camp next year in 1989, but her twin sister (Margaret) would be attending and she expected me to be there. My first words were. WHAT? TWIN? I was bummed about the entire situation. As Liz put it, she'd be sending her replacement. Who could replace Liz? Impossible. Boy, was I in for a treat. 

     So I knew I was going to miss Liz next year at CF camp, no doubt, but from the image below, I think camp '89 was looking pretty darn good. :)

Jesse Richardson & Margaret Michalski: Camp '89



To see the photos above in their original size and form, please click below.









"Don't Ask The Reasons Why" By David Foster (1987)
Motion Picture Soundtrack To The Secret of My Succe$s

No comments:

Post a Comment