Jul 23, 2014

Camp Onkoi Benek: Year One (Part 3)


Somewhere on the mean streets of Detroit, MI


     Sadly, the week was coming to an end, thus the four major things to look forward to were the talent show, the dance, award ceremony, and our annual bonfire to remember those we'd lost through the years.

     I didn't know what to do for our camp's talent show. I hadn't planned for it prior to camp, but Jimeyer had a bright idea. After he learned that I took Taekwondo, he made a suggestion about performing in the talent show. I had never performed in front of 100+ people before, just a small group (my class) for testing. I thought.

     "This can't be any harder then performing in front of Master Yu or Mr. Louis (instructor) so this should be a breeze. This crowd isn't grading my every little move, step, or position etc."

     I thought it was a great idea, but I didn't have any of my gear, my uniform (dobok), my yellow belt, or anything, heck. . I didn't even bring boards to break. We came up with some ideas. I wore my thin black shorts, a white t-shirt under a large cloth that we made into a shirt (to look like a uniform), and a black belt, which was just a cotton type strap, which I believe we found in arts & crafts. Honestly, for not having nothing, it worked out great. There was just one thing missing. Music.


(Background) I placed the South Korean flag, along with my name in Korean.


















     

     Jimeyer was into meditation, and even meditated at camp. We used one of his meditation songs and it worked out great. I still recall Jim having that gray boombox type radio/cassette player. Though, if camp were today, and if I had planned on doing two of my Taekwondo patterns, I would have chosen the song currently playing, which is Training Hard performed by Bill Conti and was in The Karate Kid (1984). Training Hard would've went great with the slow start and an increase in speed and breaking a board at the end. I'm not sure if that would've worked in 1988, because I would've had to have someone who knew how to hold a board the correct way. I don't think I knew Willie Halpin in 1988, or I may knew of him, but he (along with Ken "The Mail Man" Osterman) would be my counselors in 1989. Willie was a black belt in martial arts. A really great guy.

     I took Taekwondo from 1987-1991. I took it seriously, but at the same time I had a lot of fun. My parents and I were good friends with our instructor Mr. Louis. At the time he had a cabin in St. Clair Shores. Once I hit the mid part of 6th grade I was getting tons of homework, thus I wasn't able to balance both, so before I started struggling I discontinued Taekwondo. I felt if I couldn't give 110% to the art, then I shouldn't be performing/practicing it. I still went to class and watched my Dad, who got his black belt (rejection of darkness and fear) in 1993. I was a blue belt (sky/heaven) and green stripes. I was close to getting my red belt.

     My Dad and I started Taekwondo because it was something we could enjoy and both do together. I'm a firm believer that Karate or any form of martial arts teaches you self control, discipline, and how to defend yourself in life threatening situations.


     Here's some history about Taekwondo. Taekwondo means 'the way of the hand & foot' and there's other verses as well. Taekwondo schools are different, including their belt system, which can be quite confusing. The origins date back to 37-BC in the kingdom of Koguryo, and two other kingdoms after that. The name wasn't introduced until 1955, and this is the form we know of today. It basically originated in Seoul, Korea (South), but is also practiced in North Korea as well. Korea (many moons ago) was one country, but after World War II there was a political struggle (Japan no longer controlled Korea), as leaders wanted to side with communist China and other leaders wanted a democracy, this lead to the Korean War (1950-1953). With a armistice (formal agreement to end the Korean war), a strictly guarded zone was formed, thus separating communist North Korea and the Republic of South Korea. So technically, both are still at war. In 1955 Taekwondo became the official martial arts of Korea (South Korea). I hope I remembered all that correctly.















     If I'm correct (and if it's the same person), Master Yu still has a school (Yu's Academy of Taekwondo) in Chesterfield Township, MI. Our school was actually called Yu's Academy of Taekwondo, but Mr. Louis operated the building and taught Taekwondo in White Lake, MI. If you ever passed through White Lake, MI on M-59 during the 1980's and 1990's (after then K-Mart) you'd see a huge yellow sign on the building that read K A R A T E. Master Yu was always there for belt testing. Imagine going for an interview for a job, or being evaluated at your job as someone stood next to you. That's exactly how testing day felt, even for a 9 year old. Both men are/were very well respected.


     Each year at the end of the week our camp held a dance. I really can't recall the theme for camp '88, but I would say it was Hawaiian. Dressing up for the dance wasn't difficult, I was just going to look like I should be on Miami Vice. It worked. Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) got all the ladies. Ricardo Tubbs (his partner) wasn't bad either. I remember having a great time and spending quality time with my friend Liz. I can't remember who she was suppose to be dressed up as, but I'd guess Jane from Tarzan. I can't recall. I do remember making her that pink bracelet (left ankle, your right) in arts & crafts. I was so excited to give it to her. Below is my 2nd favorite camp picture that I have, which would be out of 700+.

Seriously, do you really think I want to go home?
Elizabeth Michalski & Jesse Richardson- Camp Dance 






     Usually on the last full day of camp (and thereafter) was our award ceremony. Camp counselors would award campers with awards, and in 1988 I was awarded most cooperative camper in our patrol.  I was shocked not to win Mr. Casanova. Wait. .  that would occur next year at camp '89.  :)

     Every award that I've ever received I've kept, including all my awards from camp. I think everyone should take pride in the awards/achievements that they receive in life. I don't think it's so much about the award or piece of paper that you receive, it's about someone (or group) recognizing you for your hard work and doing good.     



     The night before our final departure, our camp held a bonfire to remember those we had lost the previous year, and to remember the ones we lost throughout the years. It was probably the only time at camp that we realized what this disease was all about. It was about fighting each and every day to conquer tomorrow. The bonfire in this photo is very small (and on land) compared to the huge one we had out in the water, thanks to rafters. I'm not sure who I sate with, but I'm willing to bet it was with Liz (with our patrol), at least that's how I would've wanted it. 

     For the first time I came to a realization that camp was nearly 12-14 hours from being over. I continued to think of that special friend I had met that week. I reflected about what made that week so great as the wood popped and crackled. Yes, meeting my CF friends made that week, but what made it special was something that was indescribable. It wasn't a game or being part of the talent show. It wasn't about learning how to dance with an electronic monkey or being away from home. It was a feeling. I remember that feeling. It was excitement, happiness, joy. It was about being cared about (besides by my parents or relatives). Once I met this person, I knew we were going to be friends forever. I thought big as a 9 year old. I wish I could take a time machine and go back to that exact moment when I met her. She made that week special, along with a bunch of other people, but she was my charm, my friend. My Liz.




To see the photos above in their original size and form, please click below.







"Training Hard" by Bill Conti (The Karate Kid Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - 1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment