Jul 23, 2014

Camp Onkoi Benek: Year One (Part 2)




 
My joy for volleyball started at Camp '88











     
     One of my favorite outdoor games that we played that week was Bocce ball, which was my first time playing, including four square and human pinball. I also played volleyball (above) and we did archery (above) that week as well. It was my first time with a bow and arrow.  I loved it. After I came home from camp that week, I recall taking up target practice in my back yard.

     As campers and staff, we were hardly indoors. With other activities like fishing, swimming, riflery, and sitting outside talking, there was way too much fun to be had outdoors. Even when it was raining (non storms) we were outside. About the only time people were indoors (during activities) was when they were doing arts & crafts or eating/snacking.

     Speaking of eating, one of the chores us campers had during our week at camp was being a table hopper, which each patrol (once a week) were chosen to set up the tables for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I believe senior campers (at least when I was a senior) were hoppers twice a week. Of course in 2014 that would be a huge no no, due to germs.
     
       One of the fun contests we had during my first year was the turtle race. This was pretty cool. We each painted a pre-carved turtle made out of wood. I think I was the only one who painted my turtle yellow (image below). Hey, it was different. I'm not sure who won the race, but I recall it being difficult. I kept my turtle for several years after that.

           (left to right, back to front): Jesse Richardson, Jimmie LaFrance, 
         Jason LaFrance, Mike Wilson, Brian Weber



Another fun game we played indoors was Wheel of Fortune, which was part of the WBVR theme.  Game show! I actually don't remember this, but by Brian's face. . . he didn't win the car. Don't be silly!! Not a new car, a hot wheels car.  Our camp didn't have that type of budget. :)

Our camp didn't have the funds to get Vanna White and Pat Sajak for the evening, so Matt Jastrzembski a.k.a. Ski (far left) and Craig VanLaanen (far right) it was.

Photo courtesy of Damian Kiska






     So, what's the story about the monkey? It being 26 years ago, I'm sure I'm going to leave out some bits and pieces. I don't know how it came about, but Laura Varon Brown (girls counselor) had brought an electronic dancing monkey to camp. I started having some fun by dancing with the it. It was really fun. I guess by dancing with the monkey, it prepared me for our camp dance. I loved those shoes I was wearing. They were my favorite shoes. Sorry Reebox Pumps circa 1992.



     Another fun event at camp was the obstacle course, which was held each year and it was a blast (as you can see by the photo), but sadly, like so many things, I come up short remembering everything about it that year. It just didn't take place on land, but in the water as well. Fun is the best word to describe the course.




To see the photos above in their original size and form, please click below.








Camp was one of the finer things in life.

"Finer Things" By Steve Winwood (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment