May 4, 2016

Video Rental Store Vs. Netflix (Part II)

My memories, as it pertains to going to the video rental store (VRS) or watching VHS tapes, started in 1986, when my parents (for Christmas in 1987) got me An American Tail (1986) and Lady and The Tramp (1986 re-release). Both movies were released on VHS in 1987.

I really enjoyed when companies placed their VHS tapes in clamshell packaging, because for one, it protected the VHS tape, and two, it showed the company cared about their product.
I remember in 1989 we purchased Batman (Tim Burton's version) on VHS. The VHS was horrible, meaning the picture quality was very dark. At the time, we thought it was our VCR, because it was about 5 years old, and we thought it was time for a new one, especially since we (like many) during the 1980's used it a lot. So we tried the Batman VHS tape again, and yet it was still dark. So we confirmed that it was the VHS tape. Several years ago, I found out here on the internet that there were quite a few people who had that same issue.
Through the years I always enjoyed going to the local VRS with my folks, or just by myself. Renting games was awesome, especially since they were $3.50 to rent for 1 full week. I remember renting VHS tapes for $3.00, but I recall them being $1.50 in the 80's, and some places cheaper.

In 1999 I purchased my own VCR (I always used my parents) and started a new hobby. Since being a huge wrestling/WWF fan, I went on a quest to try and rent as many wrestling VHS/DVD's as I could. WWE (then WWF) started producing VHS tapes in 1985, the first being Wrestling's Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams (pictured below). That same year they started several volumes a.k.a. The Best of The WWF. They produced volumes 1 - 20 from 1985 - 1989. Of course in-between that time they produced specials on wrestlers (biography) and also released their PPV events on VHS. Coliseum Home Video (CHV) was the distributor for WWF content on VHS until 1997 when WWF Home Video was created. Fox Home Entertainment distributed several WWF VHS content as did Columbia House.


I already had memberships for my three local video rental stores, which included Blockbuster, Video Palace and Video Event. 

I had memberships at the following video rental stores below. All these stores to my knowledge are now closed.  



* Favorite video store.

Blockbuster- East Highland, MI (M-59, next to Rite Aid)
Blockbuster- Waterford, MI (M-59, across from Meijer)
Video Palace- East Highland, MI (M-59, near Burger King)
Video Palace- West Bloomfield, MI (off Cooley Lk Rd, near Big Boy)
Video Event- West Highland, MI (M-59, Save-A-Lot plaza)
* Video King- Waterford, MI (across from MJR Waterford Digital Cinema 16)
Mammoth Video- Commerce Township, MI (Carroll Lk Rd, corner of W. Commerce Rd)
Mammoth Video- Milford, MI (Kroger shopping plaza)




Video rental stores I frequently visited, but no membership to, due to not having any wrestling VHS/DVD content.

Hollywood Video- Waterford, MI (M-59, near Crescent Lk Rd)
Hollywood Video- West Bloomfield, MI (off Haggerty Rd, before Oakley Park Rd)
Blockbuster- Commerce Township, MI (Richardson Rd, across from old drive-in sign)
Movieland- Highland, MI (S. Milford Rd, now a stock car racing store)
Family Video- Waterford, MI (W. Huron St)
Video Event- White Lake, MI (M-59 near Bogie Lk Rd, next to McDonald's)



And just think. .  in my years of renting videos and all the places I've been to above, I was only late 1 time in returning a DVD, and they actually waved it off. That was Pirates of The Caribbean (2003) at Video Event here in Highland. I thanked them greatly.

So what are your memories of going to video rental stores, and which do you prefer, video rental stores or Netflix, and why?



No comments:

Post a Comment